A mildly offensive comedy about a fake family smuggling drugs from Mexico to the USA.
Month: August 2013
So tonight, after a wonderful long weekend, I decided to check out this “orange is the new black” that people have been talking about. I had heard about it from friends, on the internet and even in a radio interview. It was made specifically for Netflix and I was skeptical but must say, it is impressive.
I settled in to bed, to watch the first episode, figured that would be enough seeing as it is almost an hour long and it was getting late. In the first scenes, I was captivated. I wasn’t familiar with this actress, but from the opening scenes, she was amazing. The only actors I recognized was Jason Biggs and Laura Prepon. Both of the stars got their starts in very light comedies so it was very interesting to see them in these darker roles. In the first episode, I laughed, I cried and I really cared about what happened to the characters. I got sucked in to a second episode and my love for this show has only grown. I wish it wasn’t so late or I would continue to watch this show. There is only 13 episodes, so chances are, I will finish it this week, even if that means missing out on sleep. I also need to finish it quickly because I don’t want to accidentally find a spoiler online like I did with “the wire”. Only being two episodes in, assuming it continues with this same level of excellence, I would say this show could easily rival an HBO show. I hope this show is successful enough to continue to another season and to have Netflix create other awesome programs.
It’s already August 2nd. That’s got some people in Toronto thinking summer is over, and the cooler weather isn’t really helping. I thought I’d remind everyone what is great about summer and the summer rules of Toronto girls.
- Toronto girls know it is key to know someone with a cottage – you don’t necessarily want to be that person but nothing spells Toronto in the Summer like sitting in traffic on the 400 or the 401 to try to get out of the city.
- Toronto girls know that you can’t wear heels (even wedges) to a jays game if you’re sitting in the 500 level – that ramp is long and steep.
- Toronto girls also know that the difference between the 500 level and 200 level is at least two beers (or 5 at the steamwhistle roundhouse).
- Toronto girls know the temperature is irrelevant, we only care about the humidex.
- Toronto girls know the only place to eat in the summer must have a patio. There is no eating indoors from May-September.
- Toronto girls know the need for this city to get on with food trucks!
- Toronto girls can spot the difference between a real summerlicious menu and a ripoff menu.
- Toronto girls know that you must eat something ridiculous at the Ex and you must post to Instragram.We also know the Ex means the end of summer.
- Toronto girls base how good a festival is based on the free stuff they get.
- And finally, Toronto girls know that September isn’t too bad. There’s a great chance to meet your movie star husband in September.